Thursday 21 December 2006

Studio Harcourt

I came across a glossy magazine at the weekend in W H Smiths. It is a compilation of 1930's style portraits by the French studio - Harcourt. Although it is in French, it looks as if it is a periodical. I have never seen it before, but the images are fantastic. There is no ISBN/ISSN number that I can find, but try looking in the "Foreign" section of WH Smith's magazine (I was actually looking for the French version of Vogue when I came across it).

I must admit that I have always been fascinated by this style of portraiture - mainly due to the exceptional control over the lighting. I have only seen one photography technique book dedicated to this style of photography (by Roger Hicks listed on my main website).

The thing that inspires me the most is that many of the portraits are modern - taken in 2006 - just showing that the art form is far from dead. You will find some examples of Studio Harcourt's work here.