Monday 20 October 2008

The truth about innovation

I have been doing some work recently on innovation - this is a topic that is very dear to my heart and, judging by the amount of interest people show in it, I don't think I am alone!

While there aren't many companies that would say that innovation is not important to their company, however, there aren't many that can define it. And if they can't define it, they are going to have a hard time promoting and nurturing within their organisation.

As I went through the reading material (by the way, you will find my book list on Amazon here), there were a number of riffs (i.e. patterns) that came up time and time again. They might be explained in slightly different words, but the underlying theme is essentially the same. Over the next few days, I will step through the seven riffs one by one. For completeness, there are:
  1. Chance favours the prepared mind
  2. Repurposing the past
  3. The Future is here already, but it isn’t evenly distributed
  4. Breadth vs Depth
  5. Necessity is the mother of invention
  6. Nurturing innovation through networks
  7. You are what you innovate