Sunday 17 May 2009

Bye bye Netgear DG834N

Well after just over 2 years of faithful service it looks like I have reached the end of the road with my Netgear router. It started to have problems a few weeks ago (denying Internet access and sporadically losing WiFi connectivity) - all of which could be resolved by rebooting it. It is amazing how reliant we have become on Internet access (the TV in the house is streamed over a WiFi connection adding an additional inconvenience!). Having to reboot the router daily was a major inconvenience. Originally, I thought it might have been issues with my ISP, but sadly not.

I have just replaced it with one of the new Belkin N+ Wireless Routers. It doesn't have the same aesthethic appeal as the Netgear router, but at least this one works. The documentation is not brilliant (more about this later), but it didn't take very long to install. Plus, much to my relief, all of the issues that I had been encountering seem to have disappeared. So it looks like it was the Netgear router that was faulty after all. I would have expected it to last longer than 2 years, but with the cost of a replacement being so low (around £70), I am not going to lose any sleep over it.